查看: 3922|回复: 0

Two Choices

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-5-12 09:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Two Choices' @2 ~' R" h! m8 s( Y
>
0 q' X3 y" `9 G> What would you do?....you make the choice. Don't look for a punch line,6 t- a7 S. I* B" U6 p' W6 Q& _
> there isn't one. Read it anyway. My question is: Would you have made the
' Z9 ?8 H2 O- B; R4 p> same choice?: C3 ]6 {, n2 c
>
% |4 n. d* G, Q1 E> At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,( d( T! J! y9 u( z3 y
> the father of one of the students delivered a speech that would never be
( D$ E0 {: d' l> forgotten by all who attended. After extolling the school and its dedicated7 J& o8 K9 R' Z
> staff, he offered a question:7 W) g- H6 R9 |
>
! K; L; ^3 F) C/ ~7 v> 'When not interfered with by outside influences, everything nature does is  \. A, C1 r  G) f, v9 {
> done with perfection. Yet my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other
' W0 r! e5 _1 I: V5 D  a: ^> children do. He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is the7 s' q$ L9 W8 R4 t- H# [
> natural order of things in my son?'
" \1 Y  V0 t% E8 p- I$ y>
" D7 }7 e2 j8 _/ r& I> The audience was stilled by the query.9 u% {: w2 `: P
>+ s1 H, r9 G/ V/ y; C
> The father continued. 'I believe that when a child like Shay, physically
3 Z* D0 J6 d. N' |> and mentally handicapped comes into the world, an opportunity to realize$ N( m( a  T- u& n1 J8 C
> true human nature presents itself, and it comes in the way other people
! ^8 q, h% d7 i" w0 n9 C. Q% ]> treat that child.'
* v/ t- W* E/ ~" d>
9 k* K, N( r- g9 O, F* l9 R; v8 Z> Then he told the following story:- U4 X* v: a2 W) m' `5 A
>7 c, K2 Z5 l4 G2 [( k
> Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were8 |8 N% G, U" L
> playing baseball. Shay asked, 'Do you think they'll let me play?' Shay's
& }# o5 l& ^$ U3 O9 s9 J> father knew that most of the boys would not want someone like Shay on their- `1 \& H8 V2 U5 z
> team, but the father also understood that if his son were allowed to play,6 H# h+ r8 z  j) o
> it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging and some confidence to be
4 j+ s3 Z' P) K2 K6 F% j> accepted by others in spite of his handicaps.2 x& B/ N- d$ r$ T+ M$ U
>
5 d' z/ ~4 |4 H0 h0 \4 N4 w> Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked (not
  U( S; [# ]3 s9 C> expecting much) if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance and+ g3 Z$ ^6 T# `$ O1 C2 x+ B+ k" d
> said, 'We're losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I: ^& P6 L$ M& n$ o7 Q
> guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him in to bat in the ninth
2 q. X, G* ^: |, }7 X> inning.'
4 z: g& T8 y: s  }, ^. z9 e9 b- {  f>$ F  n7 ]2 ^& ]
> Shay struggled over to the team's bench and, with a broad smile, put on a$ }; W' y; J/ X3 N
> team shirt. His Father watched with a small tear in his eye and warmth in1 p/ w" J2 K& E
> his heart. The boys saw the father's joy at his son being accepted. In the  ]3 j" g6 I3 b$ ^
> bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still8 m- ], f" a3 |, J% q& i/ s
> behind by three. In the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and3 f' ]3 p- P/ S8 w
> played in the right field. Even though no hits came his way, he was0 L0 D/ \1 H1 B& e, h* e- S; l
> obviously ecstatic just to be in the game and on the field, grinning from
+ C" s+ A- F' H; T: |7 Z/ C> ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the  q/ V' p9 |1 M/ q: l
> ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases
; J2 L5 R: j. }. n' K' H$ N. _> loaded, the potential winning run was on base and Shay was scheduled to be% F" ?2 ^, B" H4 @5 w- C- N
> next at bat.
( Y# C/ e/ V% H9 f>& o! H: E/ W# m$ o
> At this juncture, do they let Shay bat and give away their chance to win the
. {6 j  @% w+ x9 F. m# s# Y9 X; u) o> game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat Everyone knew that a hit was all
0 B8 g7 b- h. D8 H) o. ?% u( u: g3 g( E> but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly,
2 j3 L; |! h9 t9 P, [> much less connect with the ball.* V6 m& O. `) S3 l- Z1 M; Y
> However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher, recognizing that the
8 }8 H2 i* Y& ~0 z" Q$ ?# z% B> other team was putting winning aside for this moment in Shay's life, moved
0 J0 l* D1 F, N( ~0 G! G8 g> in a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least make
" |6 D% l" L% y3 H> contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The9 ~( ~4 s) M  M5 s' T
> pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly towards Shay.; F, n  ]) Y! v3 T+ C( X* [
> As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball
3 p2 ~2 M' R1 `7 I0 o8 z> right back to the pitcher.
3 ~& W# Q/ u; T9 C>; e% ~  v' X2 s5 M( a+ p  N/ [7 m; h: l
> The game would now be over. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and
; j4 `# z0 z+ D- s6 U> could have easily thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been3 V$ i6 i3 T6 s9 F2 K/ d
> out and that would have been the end of the game.0 c$ p2 Y8 [3 P: E: }3 c5 J: X
>
  q2 n$ h) q6 g  {) R* o! I* I) e> Instead, the pitcher threw the ball right over the first baseman's head, out
0 U4 E6 Y4 b& k0 ^> of reach of all team mates. Everyone from the stands and both teams started
# s( s" q* @5 ~, F> yelling, 'Shay, run to first! Run to first!' Never in his life had Shay ever
" C4 \- C$ B( o" t" J' k/ s> run that far, but he made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline,
' b( ?7 x2 b7 l/ Q> wide-eyed and startled.
6 ^: G( H/ i& C0 C>9 D" w0 ^' ^8 @, V3 A
> Everyone yelled, 'Run to second, run to second!' Catching his breath, Shay
4 Z4 q5 |/ R% v3 K+ Z> awkwardly ran towards second, gleaming and struggling to make it to the
6 P+ \2 m7 v) _: i; W> base. By the time Shay rounded towards second base, the right fielder had, M+ ^! @- G7 p( w
> the ball ... The smallest guy on their team who now had his first chance to0 ^: Z% B% ~7 v* T( H
> be the hero for his team. He could have thrown the ball to the3 b4 q( Y# o! o: f
> second-baseman for the tag, but he understood the pitcher's intention So he,0 }* F- `! {1 S) g: z
> too, intentionally threw the ball high and far over the third-baseman's
/ A% P5 a7 @8 S> head. Shay ran toward third base deliriously as the runners ahead of him
; H" Y$ p8 r8 Q1 t3 c> circled the bases toward home.1 b2 K+ N& Y5 a2 A' V* B/ k
>& r# h/ Z: w/ P0 }9 ?
> All were screaming, 'Shay, Shay, Shay, all the Way Shay'
0 b6 P& ~: E( j8 q8 z" d/ V>1 q- U7 s& F  A7 c5 v
> Shay reached third base because the opposing shortstop ran to help him by3 q( Q& X  }1 x+ f0 g) T
> turning him in the direction of third base, and shouted, 'Run to third!
' |2 r& Q% }( t5 d> Shay, run to third!'
. D0 W3 }3 T+ [; E" ~' f: x) Q1 P>. y' A% h5 J6 I2 M' g! \# v
> As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams, and the spectators, were on
0 }0 T( V0 I7 ]+ f6 H) y# U- F> their feet screaming, 'Shay, run home! Run home!' Shay ran to home, stepped
8 x: r3 _% m/ ]# v6 Z! N* V. H> on the plate, and was cheered as the hero who hit the grand slam and won the: l( L8 \8 t7 _* }: ]8 \1 y; C
> game for his team.
9 g* d/ W2 m$ l* I7 E8 y. p>
0 q$ D2 X. M7 j" C# v" ^* M5 k> 'That day', said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,  Z! |  b  C; h
> 'the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of true love and humanity
4 @& o/ p  T/ f> into this world'.
( b0 h) e0 P- z/ A( V, }>+ [  y. r, N- f- Y, m
> Shay didn't make it to another summer. He died that winter, having never% t' o' s+ `. p3 B! U! p! p
> forgotten being the hero and making his father so happy, and coming home and4 S- `9 g. N! I2 C: r
> seeing his Mother tearfully embrace her little hero of the day!; `- H; q/ s0 V( b! l9 s0 C
>, z# P" c3 O1 e
> AND NOW A LITTLE FOOTNOTE TO THIS STORY: We all send thousands of jokes6 |' g8 L3 r! L( O- S: X
> through the e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending
' ~; k: S1 t- D8 x) K5 ]5 S> messages about life choices, people hesitate. The crude, vulgar, and often6 E, Q- y, w% c8 r6 |) ?1 i. k
> obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion about decency  f5 S' b/ u& |! {+ Q
> is too often suppressed in our schools and workplaces.2 Y+ s/ h" j" w
>
* g* k; k/ \: {+ b1 d> If you're thinking about forwarding this message, chances are that you're3 i7 F- I$ v1 c
> probably sorting out the people in your address book who aren't the
* E( b; }+ Y! P; d' L4 m> 'appropriate' ones to receive this type of message. Well, the person who( j+ L& X" \; _% f6 A) L; Q
> sent you this believes that we all can make a difference. We all have. `1 i  v% z# o
> thousands of opportunities every single day to help realize the 'natural
' _. }2 C# T- {> order of things.' So many seemingly trivial interactions between two people- g. J4 p% W. w" {3 I. |8 I
> present us with a choice: Do we pass along a little spark of love and
: B# J" N  E# ]% n* [! m- j> humanity or do we pass up those opportunities and leave the world a little
+ _+ I. M4 o  j4 k) ?. P> bit colder in the process?% @4 S: [) N0 o" x1 n$ Z
># |$ e3 p' g$ \5 k& a5 I, B/ s
> A wise man once said every society is judged by( u  ], w6 x2 P* z6 f( j
> how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them.
6 I: r; u# _7 `>
# Q5 F) P! f% D: [# o> You now have two choices:
0 _$ _2 B0 K4 I: k* x) c5 r) h+ v> 1. Delete% f' l: @+ D& A2 c' E
> 2. Forward; V6 i5 x: {, K; w9 w
>
' b4 @  w. z1 x, _; h> May your day, be a Shay Day.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-13 21:49 , Processed in 0.184596 second(s), 10 queries , Gzip On, APC On.