佳作欣赏:Follow Your Dream!(ZT)

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2004-10-8 22:10 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Follow Your Dream0 `9 M( Z2 e. @0 ^; I9 ]0 i# V

; V2 Y/ m0 F. U: S
! k" @5 v3 }5 M& W
0 o! _. ^3 V  d# XI have a friend named Monty Roberts who owns a horse ranch in San Ysidro. $ E( Q- D9 u2 f! y! P
He has let me use his house to put on fund-raising events to raise money
: ~( U, {* D# e7 Ofor youth at risk programs.
4 z$ H* N- V  m9 b+ ~/ F1 I
" ]  N) j1 t/ N. i& oThe last time I was there he introduced me by saying, 'I want to tell you 0 S3 V) p, I/ p7 i$ `- F, d
why I let Jack use my house. It all goes back to a story about a young
; p+ u8 E; W, b; I  ~' g; k0 y+ u/ g9 zman who was the son of an itinerant horse trainer who would go from stable ! n+ h, j5 \' g4 H
to stable, race track to race track, farm to farm and ranch to ranch, training 6 Z5 W/ t+ C4 H1 I4 h
horses. As a result, the boy's high school career was continually interrupted. 7 `+ c0 ]+ [+ n$ u
When he was a senior, he was asked to write a paper about what he wanted ( v' f: z1 T2 c, P6 H8 R1 ?! c
to be and do when he grew up. 5 h6 ?6 B% p3 m) s4 ]: ?2 Y" O

; Y4 }2 ?$ K7 S" }3 G  C'That night he wrote a seven-page paper describing his goal of someday ( s& I8 P2 ^8 _# N
owning a horse ranch. He wrote about his dream in great detail and he even
% `0 Y7 l$ Z7 O5 R, ?% I" Odrew a diagram of a 200-acre ranch, showing the location of all the buildings,
; {$ ~7 j% e, i0 u  I3 H) Vthe stables and the track. Then he drew a detailed floor plan for a 4,000-square-foot 9 Q& u) V# I) u# z+ w& i
house that would sit on a 200-acre dream ranch.
1 E+ S9 v# {5 f  ?# O3 a7 W- [. O  l/ l9 S, \& g
'He put a great deal of his heart into the project and the next day he ( M% x' m7 W& z7 k4 c* m$ N
handed it in to his teacher. Two days later he received his paper back. 9 v# k# R6 y: K. g) t# G: g
On the front page was a large red F with a note that read, `See me after
2 U+ ^3 V% [0 k$ L/ i3 _4 aclass.'
' o& I1 v  G! k0 q
$ s1 I/ g& ]& d; F: C2 {8 g6 t% E'The boy with the dream went to see the teacher after class and asked, 3 {; d' F, X# }, S* Y. S! @' K  {% e
`Why did I receive an F?'
9 T8 N0 m; [/ t. k
7 D6 V/ a* c! S1 g. a+ g'The teacher said, `This is an unrealistic dream for a young boy like you. + d" }2 C% G- T$ d
You have no money. You come from an itinerant family. You have no resources. * S5 P  q2 `0 v9 i! f$ I
Owning a horse ranch requires a lot of money. You have to buy the land.
$ Q5 [# Z0 i- t& ^+ QYou have to pay for the original breeding stock and later you'll have to
1 w+ ?& G$ e' r# ?; Opay large stud fees. There's no way you could ever do it.’ Then the teacher ! a1 x% k; j6 z- _: R
added, `If you will rewrite this paper with a more realistic goal, I will
8 w3 @, Z* g$ ?. C1 ?reconsider your grade.’ # r1 k6 l3 y' O( w7 i. w7 w. w( \
# ~* R3 r" ~& b, F
'The boy went home and thought about it long and hard. He asked his father
% I8 ~2 y8 F* n7 `4 E2 z, M  M. kwhat he should do. His father said, `Look, son, you have to make up your % k1 a0 ^! v7 z* }; k
own mind on this. However, I think it is a very important decision for
! M! w, N) `4 W8 b( I' iyou.’
$ {5 C9 p7 Q0 k* o: L- Y, m5 d6 }* p: _# \+ k3 I9 P( w
'Finally, after sitting with it for a week, the boy turned in the same
$ A1 l* i. H- J7 r" \2 [paper, making no changes at all. He stated, `You can keep the F and I'll " B- [. O$ X- ~7 I% f. l3 ?
keep my dream.'' 9 F3 d( C/ u6 W

4 f9 x- c* k( \4 H: [2 k, uMonty then turned to the assembled group and said, 'I tell you this story
' |! i. V4 V# i7 X0 Ibecause you are sitting in my 4,000-square-foot house in the middle of * K& b- X- C% W$ ?' |/ ~' J2 x
my 200-acre horse ranch. I still have that school paper framed over the
: k" V" o: ]- Q! u. N, hfireplace.' He added, 'The best part of the story is that two summers ago ! i% ^& a, B* H+ O3 P: Z& Z
that same schoolteacher brought 30 kids to camp out on my ranch for a week.'
! U# @( B' D7 y2 G+ C3 n2 S8 bWhen the teacher was leaving, he said, `Look, Monty, I can tell you this
( Y; |% B% r1 F# e% Ynow. When I was your teacher, I was something of a dream stealer. During
9 A) w* u( E7 n2 D) ~7 g0 r( i/ pthose years I stole a lot of kids’ dreams. Fortunately you had enough gumption & G+ G0 c: J/ @8 P# z: f
not to give up on yours.’'
  V3 i5 G, `& B0 H. u/ Z1 A+ r. w: L& e8 ~
Don't let anyone steal your dreams. Follow your heart, no matter what.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2004-10-10 12:40 | 显示全部楼层

啧啧,真是理想主义者

鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2004-10-20 20:21 | 显示全部楼层
Fine
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2004-10-20 20:43 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-13 20:22 , Processed in 0.079901 second(s), 16 queries , Gzip On, APC On.